Oct 3, 2010

The Love Messenger

While associating with Ronnie Raj’s documentary, which he did about a renowned prolific Malayalam poet, I happened to listen to the poet’s recorded sound as explaining that every writer will face a creative block in his career. I was thinking about a Blogger’s block in my blogging life which has been preventing me from writing anything for the blog. Surprisingly, today I got a subject to write upon, which is actually the favourite subject of humans, the love. But, to rescue myself from the kind of embarrassment happened to me due to the publishing of posts like ‘Fragrance of Love’ and ‘My First Love’, let me first say that this post is not about my love, but about my friend’s.

While working in the Gulf countries, this friend acquired a few months’ leave from his company and came to his native place to try his luck in higher studies. Since tuition centre was in the city he came to our place where a gang of ‘full-bloomed youngsters’ were staying and where I met him. 

We had a very interesting time together as a gang, of which majority are in the initial stages of their professional career. Sometimes we played caroms till 2 O’ clock in the night making a sleep-loving young software engineer curse us all for not switching off the lights. Sometimes, we brought liquors secretly to the second floor without letting the uncle and aunt (the landowner and wife) know, but with the knowledge of their son, to celebrate someone’s birthday or a new job joy. (Somehow, I had acquired the image as a gentle drinker and thus eliminated from the risk of heavy drinking). Sometimes after one or two pegs, we turned on the music system in the highest volume and put vibrant steps on the floor waking up the uncle and aunt from their heavy sleep in agony and letting the neighbours go on with their sleep listening to the soulful music coming from our throats (especially mine ;)). The very next day we were threatened by our landlady that ‘this will not last long’ (she had identified my voice).

I happened to notice the happiness on the face of my friend every day after coming from his class. We had some casual talks and one day he approached me with a request to compose a sugary sms to be sent as a reply to a message that he received on his mobile. When he flattered me saying that since I was a writer I could write better than him, I helped by composing what he asked me to do. When I thought that the job was over, he again approached me to compose another beautiful sms as a reply to what he received as a reply to the former sms. So, the job continued with seemingly no end and only when he told me, I came to know that I was working as a love messenger between him and a girl he met at the tuition centre. 

So, their love flourished, as he had said. He daily described what happened between them at the tuition centre while the teacher was away for a few minutes. I began to habitually see a pink coloured scooty pep resting at our house’s parking space, which he used to take from his girlfriend during the lunch time to come to the house. When the classes were over, he prepared to go back to the Gulf. Let me say for your information that a marriage between them was almost impossible as they both belonged to different religions. And I think, none of them might have taken it as a serious relationship.

A few months after leaving for Gulf, he contacted me on phone. We had some formal greetings but nothing mentioned about the girl. He contacted me again and again and on one occasion I asked him about the girl and he said that he tried to contact her but she had changed her number. 

Yesterday, he called me again and after some formal talks, he directly entered into the matter of his old tuition centre affair. ‘Is he still thinking about that girl,’ I wondered though I had never seen her.

He requested me, ‘Buddy, the sweet memories of the days that we all spent as a gang there still stick on to my mind. Buddy, if you don’t mind, please do me a favour!’

‘What favour,’ I asked mercilessly.

“I tried to call her several times, but she has changed her phone number. Buddy, please go to my tuition centre. It is on the small by road that leads to the city’s popular TV channel. Before reaching that channel, you would see a two storied building on the right side and you will see a board something like ‘Lokmanya Tuition centre’. Please collect the phone number imprinted below that. I will call you tomorrow evening to ask you the phone number and I will try to contact her through my tutor. He must know her phone number”.

Today, after noon time, I started my ‘sincere bike’, and went through all the cut roads in the vicinities searching for a tuition centre, where two young lovers shared their romancing moments some months ago. At last I reached there and spotted a small board with letters ‘Lokmanya’ hanging on the second floor.

'So, it was the place which I envisioned as a closed lovely place while my friend was narrating about his puppy love,’ curiously I thought while writing down the phone number.

While kick-starting my bike, I also chanced to see two eyes watching me from the window of the Lokmanya tuition centre. The teacher of the institute. She might be wondering that why was this guy not visiting the tuition centre and inquiring about the coaching classes, if he really needed coaching.

('May be' continued) 
PS: Read the combined second part of A Decent proposal and this post Here

16 comments:

  1. very interesting...post the second part soon..i am very curious to know:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it going to end? I'm thinking loudly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and interesting post. Liked and enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good suspense. Let's see how the story goes forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Renu, Nona, Babli n Rachna


    Thank you all for your comment.

    I am also wondering what would be the end f this. I am waiting for my friend's call. He has not yet contacted me though he said he would contact me yesterday evening..

    As far as I am concerned, the story may not go further, as I had understood their love as just a time pass and thats y I wrote 'may be continued' instead f 'to be continued'.

    Well..lets see..

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha may be continued?? smart guy u r..goodd one this buddy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear,
    I dont una thing...
    But, the others did. So it may be my problem... Not yours... So I am not able to put a honest comment.
    Forgive me...
    (These days are too brainstorming... dear)
    Anyway keep blogging... You have a lot fans, like me...
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! what do mean 'may be 'for the 2nd part..thyere has to be onethis was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. naice :D m eagerly waiting for part 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice mr Love messengar hey mujhe bhi na , i need a fone number of my Ex gf she is not giving me he hehehe :) will you do the honours for me ... :)

    good one my friend job well done one shud help friends and who knows these two might meet and end up living together then they will say thanks to you :)


    Bikram's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry it's taken me so long to visit here. I do hope you post Part II. Your job as messenger reminds me of an American movie with Steve Martin in it (can't remember the name of the movie right now). He plays a fire chief with a very large nose and gets talked into conveying messages to his employee's girlfriend. His friend who is very good looking is too shy and not intelligent enough to write effective love letters. Steve Martin's character sure can, though, and the girl falls in love with the writer of the wonderful letters. I'm wondering if your story turns out similarly. I've got a new blog, by the way. It will be primarily fiction stories that I will write or have written. Here is the link. I hope you will visit:

    http://flbigbendovereasy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ramesh

    I have no other option rameshji..The story will be continued only if he proceeds with it using the number which I gave him

    @Eccentric

    Don't worry..but I appreciate ur frankness. and I am being remembered to make my posts simpler n shorter

    @Buddhah

    Thanks fr d comment..but, now it seems that d story is not going to get a second part. My friend has not yet called me..

    @Shimmer

    I wish if I can post d second part to satisfy ur curiosity

    Thanks fr ur first time visit. Hop to have this relationship longer

    @Bikram

    Actually it was my first experience in d profession f love messenger.

    However, if more future opportunities occur, I will definitely give them a try..:)

    @Walk2write


    Thank you very much for visiting me late though..I wish this story to be like the American movie u saw..But very unfortunately, my friend looks better than me..

    ReplyDelete
  13. interesting. atleast we all now know whom to contact in difficult situations. v the friendly neighbourhood love messenger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks ya..when is the next post coming here...?

    ReplyDelete
  15. interesting


    loved it

    waiting fr the nxt post

    ReplyDelete

Drop your comments~ the below comment form is the best way to let me know your appreciations and criticisms regarding this post.

Real Time Web Analytics